Re: [Evolution] Evolution-list Digest, Vol 44, Issue 17

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:38 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:53 -0400, Michael A. Gilchrist wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > >
> > Thanks to all of you for your input.
> >
> > I still, however, am searching for a simple solution that does not
require
> > setting up an online service or the computers to be on the same LAN for
two
> > basic reasons.
> >
> > First, I want to be able to have access to my calendar even if I'm not
online.
> > Second, I also have a way of syncing file systems that works very well
for me
> > and that I'm very comfortable with so I'd rather rely on that than
develop a
> > new 'skill'.
> >
> > Is there any place where the environment variables evolution uses are
listed
> > or, alternatively, a way of setting variables via commandline arguments.
This
> > would seem to be a very desirable and 'unix-y' ability.
>
> Evo gets most of its configuration info from Gconf, which stores it in a
> bunch of XML files under .gconf/apps/evolution/calendar. You could try
> synching these, but be warned that it is probably a bad idea to do this
> while Gconf or Evolution are running. I've adapted the following from

http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#How_can_I_transfer_all_my_Evolution_data_from_an_old_home_directory_to_a_new_home_directory.3F

I foolishly answered the question you asked rather than the one you
meant. The actual calendar data is stored here (for local calendars):

~/.evolution/calendar/local/system/calendar.ics

Again, I'd recommend synching when Evo is not running.

poc

Ummmm... no offense, but just looking at your instructions for changing machines makes me think that the design of evolution is a bit insane. I really don't feel like what I want to do should be that difficult. I figured since evolution is the default calendar for most linux systems, it wouldn't be... well such a pain to work with on multiple machines.

Dang.

Mike