[Evolution] Upgrade questions

I'm running Suse LInux with Evolution 2.22.1.1. I believe that's quite an old version of Evolution, and I'm
contemplating upgrading it. Clearly, if I do that, I'll be doing the upgrade "manually"--installing a new
package, or perhaps building it from scratch. Not the end of the world, but not as easy as using something
out of the box.

I have questions relating to this.

1) I've never been able to get Evolution to sync up with my palm and I've been muddling through using JPilot
for my calendar as a consequence. My palm's built in battery is dying, and I'd really like to have my Windows
Mobile device serve as my calendar instead. I'd also like to be able to sync with an online calendar (google
calendar springs to mind, though I'm not choosy, so long as I don't have to pay for it). Will an upgrade make
any of this work, and if it does, is it "easy"?

2) I've had several issues where 2.22 has corrupted it's mail databases, attaching mail bodies to the wrong
headers. Will an upgrade help with this?

3) I've heard that the new Evolution uses a different data store for mail from that used in 2.22. Will this
present a problem, or will it automatically transfer my mail across?

4) What's the path of least resistance for this upgrade? Where should I get a distribution, can I get one
pre-built, or do I have to build it?

Many thanks in advance,
Simon

 "You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions."
â Naguib Mahfouz