Re: [Evolution] Forwarding SMTPS over SSH

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Mac McClellan <squoggle gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 16:56 -0500, Mac McClellan wrote:
I work as a contractor for a certain agency that has a locked down
network.  The only thing going in or out is http, https and SSH.

I got POP3 to work by forwarding the POP3S port like this:

ssh MyHostOnTheNet.net -L 995:mail.MyCorporateMailServer.com:995

Which seems to work just fine.  With SMTP it is a little different
story and can't seem to make sense of why it does not work.

I'm using Evolution 2.12.3 on CentOS Linux 5.2

Here's how I have it set up:
In 'Sending Email' tab:
Server Type: SMTP
Server: localhost
Server requires authentication [Checked]
Security: SSL
Authentication Type: Login

On my workstation I have done the following:

ssh MyHostOnTheNet.net -L 465:mail.MyCorporateMailServer.com:465

On my HostOnTheNet I do a tcpdump for port 465 and hit the send
recieve on Evolution on my workstation.  I see the traffic going back
and forth between MyHostOnTheNet.net and
mail.MyCorporateMailServer.com so I believe the tunnel is set up
correctly.

If I telnet to port 465 on localhost and issue a EHLO I get the following:

# telnet localhost 465
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 scires.com GroupWise Internet Agent 7.0.2 HP Copyright (c)
1993-2007 Novell, Inc.  All rights reserved. Ready
EHLO
250-scires.com
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250 STARTTLS

So I think I have the port correct as well, but sending messages just
sits and hangs and never goes through.

TIA for the help.

Run Evo with CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1

poc

Tried that and piped it to a log file.  No difference in behavior and
nothing significant in the log.  Here it is in case I'm missing
something:

# tail -f evolution.log
CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
** (evolution:8730): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution --component=mail %s
** (evolution:8730): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
 (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

That's it.  Evo waits forever saying it is sending message 1 of 1 and
never sends and never gets past the 'Send & Receive Mail' windowlet
that pops up.  I have to cancel.

After canceling this pops into the log:

(evolution:8730): camel-local-provider-WARNING **: Didn't get the next
message where I expected (677) got 0 instead

Let me know what you think.

Mac

Sorry, I forgot to export the camel.  I did get more stuff in the log
after exporting and nothing seemed significant.  It did show the
POPing but when it came to the send nothing showed in the logs and
nothing happening in EVO.  Just the same message at the end after
canceling after waiting forever.

Mac