Re: [Evolution] Forwarding SMTPS over SSH

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 16:56 -0500, Mac McClellan wrote:
I work as a contractor for a certain agency that has a locked down
network.  The only thing going in or out is http, https and SSH.

I got POP3 to work by forwarding the POP3S port like this:

ssh MyHostOnTheNet.net -L 995:mail.MyCorporateMailServer.com:995

Which seems to work just fine.  With SMTP it is a little different
story and can't seem to make sense of why it does not work.

I'm using Evolution 2.12.3 on CentOS Linux 5.2

Here's how I have it set up:
In 'Sending Email' tab:
Server Type: SMTP
Server: localhost
Server requires authentication [Checked]
Security: SSL
Authentication Type: Login

On my workstation I have done the following:

ssh MyHostOnTheNet.net -L 465:mail.MyCorporateMailServer.com:465

On my HostOnTheNet I do a tcpdump for port 465 and hit the send
recieve on Evolution on my workstation.  I see the traffic going back
and forth between MyHostOnTheNet.net and
mail.MyCorporateMailServer.com so I believe the tunnel is set up
correctly.

If I telnet to port 465 on localhost and issue a EHLO I get the following:

# telnet localhost 465
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 scires.com GroupWise Internet Agent 7.0.2 HP Copyright (c)
1993-2007 Novell, Inc.  All rights reserved. Ready
EHLO
250-scires.com
250-AUTH LOGIN
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250 STARTTLS

So I think I have the port correct as well, but sending messages just
sits and hangs and never goes through.

TIA for the help.

Run Evo with CAMEL_VERBOSE_DEBUG=1

poc

Tried that and piped it to a log file.  No difference in behavior and
nothing significant in the log.  Here it is in case I'm missing
something:

# tail -f evolution.log
CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
** (evolution:8730): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution --component=mail %s
** (evolution:8730): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
  (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

That's it.  Evo waits forever saying it is sending message 1 of 1 and
never sends and never gets past the 'Send & Receive Mail' windowlet
that pops up.  I have to cancel.

After canceling this pops into the log:

(evolution:8730): camel-local-provider-WARNING **: Didn't get the next
message where I expected (677) got 0 instead

Let me know what you think.

Mac