[Evolution] Mysterious addressbook corruption

Maybe someone can shed some light on this one:

I added a contact, but instead of [Ok] actioning the addition and
closing the contact editor, it kept popping back up. This went through
5-6 cycles, and suddenly I got an "Address book component crashed".

Ok, so, fine. Restart Evolution. No biggie.

But then I'd get the crashed message every run, and that address book
was empty [despite there being 700K of data in the .db file on disk]

As I had just (a day or so ago) migrated [back] from another machine, I
was able to try and rsync the addressbook stuff in .evolution and .gconf
back. But that had no effect; the "crash" kept happening, and I couldn't
get to my contact list.

Finally it occurred to me to create a vcard with
`evolution-addressbook-export` and then scp'd that from the previous
machine to this one, and, having created a new addressbook folder, used
import to get that rather monsterous vcard file in.

Meanwhile I manually nuked the folder that contained the old data from
within .evolution/addressbook/local, and it stopped crashing.

So, "recovered", except that now that original folder is still there and
I'm not seeming to be allowed to delete it.

Any suggestions? I'd file a bug, but really, this is either an "I did
something stupid" or a "whoa we need to talk about this first". I
_might_ be able to recreate the scenario if someone needs me to.

Evolution 2.24.2


Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.


Sydney   New York   Toronto   London

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]