Re: [Evolution] Can Evolution write tasks to any remote type of storage?

Evo is not designed to be capable of sharing local files between
multiple instances without these stepping on each other's toes, so
you'll need to run a calendar server on one of your machines, perhaps as
part of a groupware service.

So what calendar server can Evolution *write* to?

CalDAV - there are various groupware/calendar servers that can cope with
CalDAV - things like Zimbra come to mind (although many may think that
is overkill!)

iCal is not a R/W calendar system - it's a format of a file that is
largely read-only.  Mostly iCal files are large monolithic files that
are not designed to be multiply written to.

 If it can't write
to the calendar server then it makes Evolution totally redundant
in this sort of situation doesn't it?

but it can - you just need a database type solution (like CalDAV) rather
than a flat file.

I can see no point at all in running Evolution to handle personal
calendars, tasks etc. and then having to use a *different* system to
handle shared tasks.

I have a personal shared Zimbra CalDAV calendar that is read (and
written) by 5 copies of Evo, 4 further Zimbra iCal calendars on all
those copies of Evo that are read-only (for other members of the
family), a read-only Google calendar, a couple of read-only iCal web
files and an Exchange/DavMail CalDAV R/W calendar.  I haven't used a
separate system to update my calendars for about a year now.

(And I'll also add that this Evo 2.26.3 and it's all very stable.)

P.