Re: [Evolution] Suggestions on HTML mail/ML-reading

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 17:34 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 23:03 +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
My settings are 'Prefer plain' as well, on 2.26. My issue is that some
of the mail I'm receiving doesn't respond well, for example HTML-only
mail that DOES render okay in plain text gets the HTML shown, while some
mail which doesn't make sense in text (for example, release
announcements from sony.com for new DVDs/movies) shows in PLAIN rather
than HTML, simply because the incoming mails have both.

I'm quite unsure whether I follow fully. It seems that we understand
each other that there are (for us) three types of emails:
a) containing only plain text part
b) containing only HTML text part
c) containing both plain and HTML part in a multipart/alternative part

Yes, precisely. (snips off explanation)

 So, for example, I may prefer
plain text, and only see the HTML when I want to (loading up
epiphany/firefox just to read an email seems a bit OTT to me though).

see below

Or, I may prefer HTML and only want plain text when I have misbehaving
HTML which can't be read (white text on white background, for example,
since I'm using a dark theme).

'Prefer Plain' addresses the first use-case, but is a bit of a
work-around, using an external web browser.

With the "Prefer plain" set I'm not forced to open the HTML part in the
browser, I can choose "View Inline" or simply click the button beside
the arrow at the bottom of the message, and the part will be expanded
inline, in the message.

Thank you! I was precisely searching for something like 'show inline',
can't believe I'd missed it till now.

Its of no help in the
second, that is, if the default is 'Show HTML if present', there is no
way to 'show this particular message as plain text'.

I believe the "Prefer Plain" is what you want, maybe you only missed the
possibility of inline showing?

Oops, I'm sorry for longer mail.
      Bye,
      Milan

Still have a (admittedly smaller) issue with the fact that its not
possible to have the following situation:-

DEfAULT: show HTML if present (meaning both types b and c from above)
RUN-TIME: show plain-text for some individual mails (of type c,
obviously) which do not render properly
WISH-LIST: convert mails of type b to plain text, again on demand from
the user (ie. something like 'inline showing' but the reverse)