Re: [Evolution] Merge/Syncing multiple evolution installations.

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 23:18 -0300, Fabio Rafael da Rosa wrote:
Under "Miscellaneous", there is a network entity that you can use to
synchronize accross machines

So this isn't something Evolution specific, just some generic file
synchronization? Then how does it handle merging of files which have
been changed on both machines, like for example the contact database
file when different contacts were added?

Disclaimer: I have worked on PIM synchronization via SyncML for over
three years (SyncEvolution). Synchronization is *hard* to get right. I
find it annoying when projects are touted as a solution when in reality
they haven't implemented the necessary parts, are not stable and/or
don't address the hard problems at all.

Just my two cents. I haven't tried Conduit. I'm sure it's a fine
program, it just doesn't sound like it really does two-way
synchronization of data that is stored differently on different sides
and can be changed independently at the same time.

Back to the topic: I have synchronized Evolution data from one machine
to another via rsync. Any other means of moving the files would also
work *as long* as one is careful to only work on one machine at a time
and moves the data when switching machines. However, the Evolution
developers make no guarantee that the on-disk format of files remains
the same between different versions of Evolution. The supported method
is extracting the data via the APIs, storing it in a standard format and
reimporting it.

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly