[Evolution] query regarding MAPI

Hi,
I have just started reading about MAPI(Messaging Application Programming Interface). I far as I understand this is a architecture developed/maintained by Microsoft     Windows to have/add messaging support on different applications those run on Microsoft Windows m/c.
        Pleaese correct if I am wrong.
Now my questions are:
1) Is it only supported on Microsoft Windows environment? Or, there is some variance of it which is upported on Linux.

regards,
--Sirshendu

Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Click here