[Evolution] Evolution network access messed up

I'm hoping someone here can give me a clue - I somehow managed to mess up my
install of Evolution 2.12 - I'm runnign OpenSuse 10.3 and I had applied the
latest point release of Evolution from the Gnome Community repository to
Evolution and sometime shortly thereafter it started having trouble synching
with either my IMAP mail server OR my exchange server.    I'm pretty sure it
worked for a little while after the update but not positive.  I've tried
removing it, however some other know component is depending on something one
of the evolution packages provides etc  so I can't do a clean removal afaik.
Help about claims 2.12.0 for the version, YAST claims the installed version
is 2.12.0-54.1 for evolution, 2.21.5-40.8 for Evolution DataServer,
2.12.0-43.4 for evolution exchange.      I'd like to reset it as it was
mostly working for me previously - I'm back to running outlook 2003 under
crossover now though because Evolution doesn't seem to successfully talk to
anything anymore - even pop mail is failing to connect.   IMAP and Excange
show the folder for the account and when you try to expand it briefly show
"scanning folders" in the tree and then collapse the node within a second or
so.

Any ideas about how to thoroughly reset evolution to scratch?  (deleting
preferences etc)

believed to be clean.