Re: [Evolution] Evolution can't send mails via Mail Server

--- Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 22:08 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
--- Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 19:34 +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
Hi folks,

Mail Server:
Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64
SquirrelMail 1.4.11
Postfix - pop, smtp

Workstation
Ubuntu 7.04 desktop
Evolution 2.10.1

Evolution can receive mails on the Mail Server but can't send
mails
via
the Server. It can send mails to users registered on the Mail
Server.
Also it can send mails via ISP server.

- snip -

You say it works with Kmail. I asked if Kmail is using exactly the
same
account info but you don't say. This is important because if the
answer
is no then it's probably just a config problem, whereas if it's yes
then
we have to look deeper.

Yes, same accounts, same Mail Server, same recipients for the tests.
If Evolution sent mails via ISP server with the same config, etc., it
worked w/o problem.  The only difference is Kmail running on F7 and
Evolution on Ubuntu 7.10 desktop but on the same PC and 2 HDs.

You need to compare the email sending
("From:")
address, the SMTP server name and port (note: NOT the
IMAP/POP/Exchange/whatever server, which might be different) and the
server authentication method if any, including login name and
password
for sending if relevant.

Everything is the same and via port 25.  I tested several sender
accounts and recipients on both Kmail and Evolution.  Only Evolution
has the "send" problem via Mail Server but w/o problem via ISP server.
The Public IP address is fixed NOT dynamic.  I tried both the IP addr
of the Mail server as well as the Public IP.  They worked w/o problem
only with "send" problem on Evolution.  At the beginning I tested
"send" with "server required authentication".  It alwasy complained
password incorrect.  Then I made further test w/o authentication.  It
complained "Relay access denied"

I'm assuming the Kmail and Evo instances are
running on the same machine with the same ISP.

Yes. That is correct but on different HD and OS.

Is the SMTP server
local
to that ISP or is it somewhere else?

No.  At home.