Re: [Evolution] Spamfiltering with evolution - NO LONGER WORKS

"Upgraded from Fedora 6 to Fedora 8" doesn't mean much to many of us: we
have no idea what versions of Gnome or Evo come with those systems.
Please provide version information for Evolution itself, not distro
version information.  I assume Fedora 8 is using Gnome 2.20 and Evo
2.12?

OK, you complain even when we do give information. When someone who
isn't writing the code gives information, he/she doesn't always know
exactly what info is needed. Each e-mail is not an end in itself - it's
meant to start a dialog.

One thing that is curious: it seems to me that the people who are saying
spam filtering doesn't work are using Fedora.  The people who say it
does work are using Debian/Ubuntu.  Can anyone comment on this?  Are
there Fedora folks who ARE able to do bogofilter spam filtering, and/or
Debian/Ubuntu people who can't?

Has anyone checked the Fedora mailing lists/bug repositories to see if
there's a bug filed there?

[chippy localhost ~]$ /usr/bin/bogofilter -V
bogofilter version 1.1.6
    Database: Berkeley DB 4.6.21: (October 11, 2007) AUTO-XA

Ubuntu is shipping with bogofilter 1.1.5, using BDB 4.5.20.  It seems
unlikely that this would make a difference but you never know.

I've also disabled bogofilter and installed spamassasin and enabled it
in Evolution. I can see that it is checking the mail for junk but only
if I highlight the junk - but like bogofilter it NEVER moves any new
spam to the trash.

How can you see that it's checking mail for junk?

Evo reports what it is doing at the bottom of the window. When I
highlight the junk and hit the junk button at the top, it reports it's
progress as it checks the e-mail and moves it to the junk folder. I
guess it's trying to build rules for filtering (although it never
filters on it's own). I have to go through the new e-mails and just
highlight the junk. Maybe there is an easier way to get Evo to remove
all the junk in a folder (even though it should do this as it brings in
new e-mails).

Someone said they tried to build Evo themselves from source.  Did that
help?

Unfortunately, the bogofilter plugin is not very flexible.  The path to
the bogofilter application is hardcoded as "/usr/bin/bogofilter";
there's no way to change it (that I can see) short of recompilation.
There also doesn't seem to be any way to add extra arguments such as
enabling logging.

Before we go there, though, we should verify what Evo is doing itself.

Please reconfigure Evo to use bogofilter, then stop Evo, then run
"evolution --force-shutdown" to kill all the other Evo applications.

I will do this just as soon as possible. Again, when I reported the
problem some time ago, I thought someone would asks for specific
information like this. I'm just surprised it took so long. When you
submit an e-mail on a problem and weeks go buy and no one even comments,
you wonder why bother to report the problem.

Now, enable debugging:

  export CAMEL_DEBUG=junk

(or if you want more logging, use CAMEL_DEBUG=all)

Now, start Evo with output redirected to a log file, like:

  evolution &> junk.log &

Now, read some mail that should and should not be junk.  Then let us
know what you find in the junk.log file.  You should see lines like
this:

        pipe_to_bogofilter /usr/bin/bogofilter --unicode=yes
        < b632fb90 >
        junk filter => *JUNK*

or:

        pipe_to_bogofilter /usr/bin/bogofilter --unicode=yes
        < b632fb90 >
        junk filter => clean

Does you see that?  What else does it say?  Be careful before sending it
to the list (if you decide to) that you strip out private email
addresses, servers, passwords, etc. that you don't want to publish.

If you have problems sending a large file to the list you can file a bug
in Bugzilla and attach the log there.  Send a link to the bug to the
mailing list.