Re: [Evolution] Can I get an IMAP folder update up in here!

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:30 -0500, Internaut at Large wrote:
Greetings,

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:25 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 10:35 -0800, David Graves wrote:
I leave evolution open on my home machine and head to work. I read and
delete emails all day at work. I come home to find all my messages
unread at home and if I do anything except close evolution
immediately,
it undeletes all the deleted mail and marks unread all the read mail.

This has been discussed many times. The basic problem is that IMAP is
not designed for concurrent access from multiple clients. Each client
maintains its own state and there's no standard way for them to synch
with each other.

An explicit "sync" command from Evo could update the server state, but
wouldn't update other clients until they also synched. Then you have the
problem of possible inconsistency between updates, i.e. this is harder
to do transparently than it looks.

It used to be the case that switching folders would force an update. I
don't know if that's still true, but even if it is it still wouldn't
guarantee consistency between multiple clients.

My solution to this is never to have two instances of Evo open at once.
When I leave home, I close Evo, ditto when I leave the office, and I
have no problems of this sort.

When you say you "close evo" does that involve shutting down the
evolution data services as well?  (For those who don't know ... if you
don't actually log out, or shut down that machine, doing a evolution
--force-shutdown does it.)

Not necessary in this case. Just close the front-end (File->Quit).

poc