Re: [Evolution] Clarification re: evolution-backup-tar.gz ??

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 16:24 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 13:40 -0400, William Case wrote:
Hi;

This query is not urgent, but I would like to know.

Does evolution-backup-tar.gz contain the contents of my mail, contacts,
tasks etc. or just the settings?

Yes, it saves the mail (the local mail that is).

Help manual says, "The back up saves your Evolution gconf settings,
mails, contacts, tasks, memos and calendars and creates an archive."
which can be interpreted a bit ambiguously.

I don't see the ambiguity.

Having been told that it only saves the settings, the sentence *could*
read that only the settings for mail, settings for contacts, settings
for tasks etc. are backed up.  I admit I didn't read it that way at
first.

I have had advice that indicates that just the settings are saved,
however when I restored the other day I got most but not all of my
content data back.  e.g. missing one contact list/addresses and about 10
emails.

It's trivial to test. Create a backup and do:

      tar tvf backup.tar.gz

to get a list of what's there.

You are right.  But having started to double think myself and not being
certain what each and every file type represented I thought I would
double check.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3