Re: [Evolution] How to use maildir as storage format?

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 05:03:09PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I Googled for "maildir mbox conversion" and got a bunch of hits. One
thing that might cause trouble: the Evo way of representing a folder
hierarchy is non-standard (because AFAIK there is no standard) so you
might have to do it folder by folder.

So after this thread caught my eye (having suffered from mbox corruption
one time too many), I decided to convert all of my 'local mail' to
maildir format folders. So I did the following:
- Added a new account with 'Maildir-format mail directories'
- Pointed it at an empty top-level directory.
- Did right-click 'Copy..' on the top-level folders under 'On This
Computer' and selected the new account as the target.
- Deleted the copied folder once I was happy with the result.

Now I have everything in maildir format and things like folder updates
and searches are peppy again.

This took a little bit for the 2+ G of mail I've managed to accumulate,
but worked pretty much flawlessly. I tried a couple of the script
solutions, but they had about a 90% success rate and I wasn't going to
convert all 100+ folders thru mutt (which seemed to be the only other
completely robust solution available).

  John A.