Re: [Evolution] Bug

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 at 08:23 -0400, Rob Cambra wrote:
Hi,

I represent a company with 600+ end users.  We are actively seeking
replacements for many Microsoft technologies such as Outlook/Exchange
and MS Office.  We are currently testing OpenOffice.org and Evolution
with select users and the IT Staff.

The biggest complaint we see with Evolution after one month of use is
the apparent inability of Evolution to properly handle HTML-based
e-mail with Internet content.  For instance, when a user receives an
HTML message with graphics and other content fetched from Internet
locations, the reading pane (lower right pane) freezes.  At this
point, you can't use the reading pane anymore and Evolution can't be
closed out.  The only option to return Evolution to normal
functionality is to log off the user.

We've seen this behavior on Ubuntu 7.10 using Evolution as an Exchange
client.  This is meant as constructive feedback because we want your
technology to succeed.

Best regards,

I'm going through a similar exercise ... but on opensuse 10.3.

I see that opensuse have a applied quite a few patches on top of the
evolution 2.12 source.  Also, I've noticed some recent opensuse updates
in some of the pre-requisists ( such as libsoup ).  Net result seems to
be that its pretty stable for me.

Suggest its worth checking if there are similar patches applied to the
Ubuntu packages.

[ in fact there were a couple of fixes which I wanted and arn't in the
opensuse patch list, so I've taken the source rpm and added these in
myself :-) ]

Pete