From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
To: Todd Ness <Todd Ness eds com>
Cc: rcambra amesbury com, evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Bug
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 08:53:20 -0400

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 06:35 -0600, Todd Ness wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 08:23 -0400, Rob Cambra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I represent a company with 600+ end users.  We are actively seeking
> > replacements for many Microsoft technologies such as Outlook/Exchange
> > and MS Office.  We are currently testing OpenOffice.org and Evolution
> > with select users and the IT Staff.
> >
> > The biggest complaint we see with Evolution after one month of use is
> > the apparent inability of Evolution to properly handle HTML-based
> > e-mail with Internet content.  For instance, when a user receives an
> > HTML message with graphics and other content fetched from Internet
> > locations, the reading pane (lower right pane) freezes.  At this
> > point, you can't use the reading pane anymore and Evolution can't be
> > closed out.  The only option to return Evolution to normal
> > functionality is to log off the user.
> >
> > We've seen this behavior on Ubuntu 7.10 using Evolution as an Exchange
> > client.  This is meant as constructive feedback because we want your
> > technology to succeed.
> Some things I have found to make evolution a little better.
> give it a wrapper script similar to this.
> #!/bin/bash
>
> export EVOLUTION_COUNT_TRASH=1
> ulimit -n 1024
> exec /usr/bin/evolution
>
> the file limit helped a lot.

Interesting. I don't think EVOLUTION_COUNT_TRASH is relevant here
however.

> Also, instead of logging the user out you can open a shell and run:
> pkill -f evolution
> and then start your client up again.

The canonical way to kill Evo is "evolution --force-shutdown", but of
course "pkill" is easier to type. Is there a difference? I've no idea,
and the online help is silent.

> I have been asking several questions the last 2 weeks about why
> evolution freezes as well and have not seen much help.
> I would assume that they will need more information such as the version
> of evolution you are running.
> run this command in a terminal...
> rpm -qa|grep evolution

The OP implied he's using Ubuntu, so no rpm. Within Evo, Help->About
gives you the version info.

poc

--

Rob Cambra, MCSE, CCA
Amesbury Group

Scientia est potestas

*** Before printing this e-mail, think if it's necessary.
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.