Re: [Evolution] wireless surfing

On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 06:19 -0400, art rhd org wrote:
This is not really an evolution question.  You don't have to use the mail servers of the connection
provider.  Use the ones that you normally use.

To avoid the problems of open relays, your email provider may only allow
SMTP from their own users, i.e. users on their own network, so as you
move around you generally have to configure the SMTP server according to
where you are (or just use a webmail service). Note that the IMAP/POP
server doesn't change.

Other providers do allow SMTP from anywhere, but only with an
authenticated session. You need to ask them how to do this and change
your Evo account info accordingly.

In any case, you make these changes in
Preferences-><account>->Edit->Sending Mail.

I don't know what "the name of the connection" means here, but what you
need is the DNS name of the local SMTP server. The online help gives
detailed instrucions.

poc

-----Original Message-----

From:  meredith walsh <gadgetgirl bust com>
Subj:  [Evolution] wireless surfing
Date:  Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:02 am
Size:  663 bytes
To:  "evolution-list gnome org" <evolution-list gnome org>

Hi, I am surfing on an unsecured wireless connection. But I can't send/receive emails from Evolution. I
have used the name of the connection for the SMPT. But I am wondering whether it is not working I need
information a code from the service provider - which obviously I don't have,

If so, is there some way around the problem.

gg.

BUST: The magazine for women with something to get off their chests. Subscribe today at www.bust.com