[Evolution] Exchange and GAL port

We're moving to Exchange (sigh).  Everything is working except the GAL
always times out (after a long delay).  Some packet sniffing showed
evolution was sending to port 3268 on the global catalog server but no
replies ever came back.

The reply from the Exchange admins was:

From what we understand evolution uses the webfrontend to do all it's
communication to all the traffic should be over port 80.

I believe Evolution does do some of it's communication over webdav but
judging by the packet sniffing results, it's trying to connect to the
global catalog server on port 3268 not port 80.

I did try appending :80 to the server address but that didn't work.

Which port on the catalog server should Evolution be connecting to?
Is there any way to change the port (apart from modifying the source)?
Would changing the port help in any case?

Thanks
--
Ian