Re: [Evolution] How to get new addresses automatically added to "contacts"

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 09:14 -0600, Sankar P wrote:
On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 11:06 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
One question: is it that the Automatic Contacts will only add a new
address if you are clicking on "reply" to THEIR letter? Or if you
write
an e-mail to someone to whom you haven't written before, and you type
their address into the "To" window of a mail, then in that case would
Evo add that address into Contacts? Or does it only happen when you
actually click on "reply" to someone's letter?

I would hope that it is not restricted to when you click "reply". If
you
type a new e-mail address into the "To" window of a mail, then the
same
auto entry ought to occur in Contacts as if you had clicked on
"reply".

The current behavior is it will add only when you reply. (and you don't
have to send the reply). this isn't highly-useful. I have a patch that
changes this behavior and adds any new address. I will be committing it
soon (after some testing).

As a point of clarification: will your patch add all new addresses that
come in the in-box?

It does seem like a reasonable point made by Art Alexion, that one would
not want to have spammers' etc e-mail addresses added. Please clarify
how your patch would work.

I would think that it may make sense to require some proactive action on
the part of the user to indicate interest in the address: for example,
if the user click's on "reply" to a mail then that is an obvious sign of
interest in the address. Yet also, I would add that if one initiates a
correspondence by typing the address, i.e. if one is the first writer of
a letter-- then too, the address should be added (if it is new).

Does anyone know the exact way that Thunderbird's auto address feature
works in this regard? Does it add ALL new e-mail addresses that arrive
in the in-box? Or if not, then what are the criteria for automatically
adding an address in TB?

Swarup