Re: [Evolution] How to get new addresses automatically added to "contacts"

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 21:34 -0600, Bharath Acharya wrote:

Hi,

Edit-> Preferences-> Mail Preferences-> Automatic Contacts Tab.
Automatically create entries in the address book when responding to
messages. Guess this is what you are looking for.

HTH
-Bharath

It seemed indeed by your description that this was what I was looking
for. But today when I went to the Automatic Contacts Tab, I found that
it was already checked! That is, the option was already enabled. --But I
do not find that it works. For example, I have been writing a particular
person, and every time I begin to type his e-mail address in the "To"
window, I hope that Evo will cue me by completing the e-mail address so
I don't have to type it all. But it never does so. Then last evening I
manually added his address in my Contact List, and then next time when I
went to type his e-mail address in the "To" window of a mail, Evo did
cue me by completing the address for me.

So when the Automatic Contacts Tab is already enabled, then why is it
that I still have to manually enter people's e-mail addresses into the
Contact List when I have already sent letters to them in the past?

One question: is it that the Automatic Contacts will only add a new
address if you are clicking on "reply" to THEIR letter? Or if you write
an e-mail to someone to whom you haven't written before, and you type
their address into the "To" window of a mail, then in that case would
Evo add that address into Contacts? Or does it only happen when you
actually click on "reply" to someone's letter?

I would hope that it is not restricted to when you click "reply". If you
type a new e-mail address into the "To" window of a mail, then the same
auto entry ought to occur in Contacts as if you had clicked on "reply".

Thanks,
Swarup