Re: [Evolution] Filters not working

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 10:36 -0500, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:30 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 13:34 -0500, Marcus Senna Borges de Barros wrote:
I using Evo 2.12.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy, and after I copied my email from
previous versions to the personal folders, the filters only work when
I select the messages (and also if the filter rule doesn't involve
moving mail to a folder). No message error is given.

Is there any way to find out what is happening?

I've been told on this list that this is a known and ongoing problem.

IMHO the most common reason for automatic filters not working is that
more than one client is accessing the server mailbox concurrently,
meaning that messages are not "new" and so are not filtered. See
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#Why_do_my_mail_filters_not_work.3F

OK, it is rare, but sometimes possible that I am concurrently accessing
the account using
     1. evo 2.6 (Novell) on SLED 10.1
     2. evo 2.12.1 on xubuntu gutsy
     3. MS Outlook 2000 SP-3 on XP SP-2.

None the less, this should not be my problem because I have:
     A. The same filters on all of the clients, and
     B. All of the filters move messages to folders on the exchange
        server.

For example, I have an exchange folder called "evolution" where all
messages from this list are supposed to be diverted to when they arrive.
That filter is on all of the clients.

So, no matter which client accesses the new message first, it should
still be diverted to the evolution folder and accessible to the other
clients with access to that server-based folder.

In fact, the only time this works is when Outlook gets to the messages
first.

am befuddled as to why it hasn't been addressed as filtering is an
indispensable component of an MUA.  My guess is that the evolution
culture favors vfolders, and so, does not think this is important.

I disagree. Filters are discussed repeatedly on this list and I think
most people do consider them important. I personally have far more
filters than vFolders.

I am using evo with an exchange server.  vfolders do nothing for me when
I access the mail store using outlook or the web interface.  I need real
filters that actually move the mail.

They do. How they work or don't work with Exchange is outside of my
competence as I don't use it.

I use Evolution for all of my work mail.  I receive this list on my work
account because it helps me with evolution, a tool I only use at work.

For personal mail, I use kmail.  Much of my preference comes from habit
and rejecting evolution 1.x because it was a resource hog, and I didn't
need exchange.

I like Evolution better for the ability of its composer to handle HTML
and pseudo-HTML like list formatting in text messages.  I also like how
well the exchange component works, especially with the current version.
I applaud the developers who really worked on fixing performance bugs
since 2.10.

I do not like this filter problem, and I miss the ability of kmail to
expire messages, associate identities and mail lists with folders, etc.

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075