Re: [Evolution] Filters not working

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 12:07 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 10:36 -0500, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:30 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 13:34 -0500, Marcus Senna Borges de Barros wrote:
I using Evo 2.12.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy, and after I copied my email from
previous versions to the personal folders, the filters only work when
I select the messages (and also if the filter rule doesn't involve
moving mail to a folder). No message error is given.

Is there any way to find out what is happening?

I've been told on this list that this is a known and ongoing problem.

IMHO the most common reason for automatic filters not working is that
more than one client is accessing the server mailbox concurrently,
meaning that messages are not "new" and so are not filtered. See
http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#Why_do_my_mail_filters_not_work.3F

OK, it is rare, but sometimes possible that I am concurrently accessing
the account using
     1. evo 2.6 (Novell) on SLED 10.1
     2. evo 2.12.1 on xubuntu gutsy
     3. MS Outlook 2000 SP-3 on XP SP-2.

None the less, this should not be my problem because I have:
     A. The same filters on all of the clients, and
     B. All of the filters move messages to folders on the exchange
        server.

For example, I have an exchange folder called "evolution" where all
messages from this list are supposed to be diverted to when they arrive.
That filter is on all of the clients.

So, no matter which client accesses the new message first, it should
still be diverted to the evolution folder and accessible to the other
clients with access to that server-based folder.

No necessarily. Remember that Evo follows IMAP semantics (even for
non-IMAP servers), i.e. it "moves" a message by copying and deleting,
and "deletes" a message by marking it, so until the original folder is
expunged there are two physical copies of the message on the server.

Furthermore, the effect of one IMAP client marking a message as deleted
while another is looking at the same mailbox is not defined by the IMAP
RFC. In my experience Evo uses "lazy synchronization" i.e. it won't
recheck message state unless you change folders and then change back
again.

In other words, one's natural assumptions about what's happening are
often wrong.

poc