Re: [Evolution] Problem upgrading from Evolution 1.4.6 to 2.12.1

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 16:40 -0600, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 16:46 -0600, R. Steven Rainwater wrote:
I've been using Evolution v1.4.6 on a RedHat 9 box for years and finally
decided it was time to move to something newer. I've installed Fedora 8,
which includes Evolution v2.12.1. I copied over my /evolution directory
hoping Evolution would notice it on start up and magically upgrade it.
No such luck. It did see it but immediately generated this error...

I worked on this problem most of the weekend and have made some progress
that may help others in my situation.

I left out something in my original post that I realize now is quite
important. My Evolution 1.4.6 was configured to store its data in
maildir format. This is directly related to my upgrade problem because
support for user configurable local storage formats was dropped
somewhere along the way between 1.4.6 and 2.12.

[...]

While maildir support for local file storage was dropped from Evolution,
maildir support as an inbound "Server Type" was added. What this means
is you can select maildir as an alternative to POP3 or IMAP on the
inbound server type selector.

At first this seemed useless to me because my inbound server is POP3. If
I selected POP3, I couldn't have maildir support. If I picked maildir, I
couldn't retrieve my mail. Then I realized I might be able to create a
second account and kludge the two together somehow. So, Account 1
receives email from my POP3 server. Account 2 points to a Maildir area
on my hard disk and acts as an alternate local datastore. I then had to
create filters that move inbound mail from Account 1 to Account 2.

Possibly you could use fetchmail instead of a direct connection to your
POP provider, and thus eliminate one of the accounts. I believe
fetchmail supports maildir format.

[...]

Otherwise, I've noticed three other minor annoyances in the move from
1.4.x to 2.12:

- No more "reply to list" option on the context menu. In 1.4.6, the
message context menu gave three reply options: "reply to sender", "reply
to list", and "reply to all". In 2.12 there are only two options: "reply
to sender" and "reply to all". I subscribe to many lists and used the
"reply to list" option frequently. Now to reply to a list message, I
have to go through a multi-step process: click the message to highlight
it, click "Message", then click "Reply to List". Actually, I'm surprised
that simply clicking "reply" isn't automatically interpreted as "reply
to list" when you click on an email from a list. It doesn't seem like it
would be that hard to do. Oh well.

Make sure you have the "Mailing List actions" plugin enabled.
Message->Reply to List is Ctrl-L.

- I can't use filters to put email into the junk folder. My inbound
emails include a Spamassassin "X-Spam-flag: YES" if they were scored as
spam by the ISP. I'd like to move these into the junk folder instead of
my inbox but I can't select "junk" when the move dialog asks for the
folder name. As it is, I had to create a "junk2" folder. The built-in
spam checker uses the junk folder, so now I have to go through two
different junk folders instead of one.

There is no Junk folder. Junk is a virtual folder, like Trash. Select
"Set Status to Junk" as the filter action.

poc