[Evolution] Problem upgrading from Evolution 1.4.6 to 2.12.1

I've been using Evolution v1.4.6 on a RedHat 9 box for years and finally
decided it was time to move to something newer. I've installed Fedora 8,
which includes Evolution v2.12.1. I copied over my /evolution directory
hoping Evolution would notice it on start up and magically upgrade it.
No such luck. It did see it but immediately generated this error
message:

 "Upgrade from previous version failed: Failed upgrading Mail settings
or folders."

 "Cannot get message: F6NNJE0.MSG from
folder /home/rsr/evolution/local/old projects/mbox  No such file or
directory"

The message file in question is actually named F6NNJE0.MSG:2,S and it's
located in the mbox/curr directory rather than mbox, so the problem
could be that 2.12.1 expects a different naming scheme or maybe expects
the messages to be in a different directory than they were with 1.4.6.

I have about 10 years worth of email - hundreds of directories, many
thousands of individual email files. So I need an automated method of
upgrading, I probably won't be able to manually rename individual files
or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

-Steve