Re: [Evolution] Graphics lost in forwarded message

Dick Rounds wrote:
I found the images which had been emailed to me but which I couldn't forward. They are located at:

    http://www.rense.com/general70/drift.htm

I also talked to the guy who sent me the email. He has an Apple computer and uses some email program that I never heard of. Don't know that this makes any difference or not.

Maybe this will make some sense to you. I saved the images to my desktop and gtried every graphics program I had to open them but all failed.

Weird! Evolution can open as can Opera (when I go to the above web page) but I can't forward.

Dick

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 17:09 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 15:35 -0400, Dick Rounds wrote:
> Thanks for the input. My problem is that there are no attachments. The
> graphics are embedded in the email itself. I erroneously assumed that
> if I forwarded the email the graphics would go along also. Apparently,
> I'm wrong.

Hace you tried forwarding something to yourself, to see exactly what is
happening?

> Is there a better email program that I could use?

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder :-) If you only want email (and
not groupware functions like shared calendars and scheduling) there are
lots of email clients on Linux. If you care about high flexibility at
the cost of a text-only interface, try Mutt. If you want something
cross-platform (i.e. user portability) I've found Thunderbird to be a
good option -- the spam control is particularly good IMHO. If you don't
need Exchange compatibility, Kmail is good, especially with KDE, and you
can get some groupware functions via Kontact. And so on.

poc

What program is the original poster using?

Now the issue with forwarding emails can get complicated.

To rehash.
As one person has suggested, try forwarding to yourself and see what happens.

The program that the original sender is using may use mime encoding. Depending on who is receiving the forwarded message, their mailer may not handle all mime encoded messages.

Again, if the message forwards okay to you, then the problem could be on the receivers end.

Also check to see if there is setting that is sending forwarded messages as "quoted text". If the images are links, then you may find that they are not being read on the other end but they should show up as links.

I don't use html formatted messages so I usually see the various problems. Also due to many techniques that spammers use to confirm email addresses using graphics, I don't like opening linked images. At least in Thunderbird, there is an option to allow me to open linked images depending on the message.

You could also save the file (right click on the message). Using a text editor, look at the message and see what information is in the message. You may see the mime/type info or uuencode info to view.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.