Re: [Evolution] Evo not moving mails properly out of exchange via IMAP

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 16:44 +0100, Ignacio Mas Ivars wrote:
Hi all,

I am using evolution to access an exchange server that stores my mail,
but using IMAP. I have a set of filters that move the mails out of the
exchange server into local folders. However, when evolution picks up the
mail, that mail does not show any more in the Inbox of the IMAP folder
in Evo, but it still still there if you open Outlook. The same behaviour
occurs when I move manually a mail from the IMAP Inbox into a local
folder. This forces me to open Outlook every second day and clean up the
read mails which are still there.
Is it a well known bug or is it a particular implementation problem of
the IMAP interface of exchange? I have tested the same behavior with
Thunderbird and it successfully removes the mail from the IMAP account,
so it's something related to the IMAP implementation of Evo...

The IMAP protocol does not support moving messages as a basic action, it
only supports copying. Evo "moves" a message by copying it and marking
it for deletion. It doesn't matter if the "move" is manual or via a
filter, the same thing happens. The marked message will go away if you
expunge the folder (Folder->expunge or Ctrl-E) or do File->Empty Trash.
Presumably TB does this automatically, but Evo doesn't.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-)

poc