Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: Re: Evolution-Connector W/ Exchange 2007]

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 16:40 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 09:05 -0600, Veerapuram Varadhan wrote:

Good god .. no wonder the connector is unuseable. I had high hopes for
a linux desktop, in part based on the expectation of having a fully
compatible groupware client for exchange.

Revere engineered products/projects do lack 100% compatibility and

To the majority of us, for us that really want to at least get our
emails off the server, having this work is essential, esp when they've
closed off the POP/IMAP ports.

I for one, am only interested in gettting the mails. Calendering and
others can wait.

Veerapuram is a novell employee and he's tasked to get evo-exchange
working and we, at least can just support him. (Unless of course, we can
send him patches!)

Thanks for the support, Heng.  I will work on it and atleast make it
fetch mails/calendars/contacts, if not the extended features in Exchange
2007.

BTW, openchange looks great..

Brutus is another one which looks great on paper (but I have 1 nit-pick
which has prevented me from evaluating it - it needs a windows box to be
installed to - the server portion anyway to do the MAPI translation)

Brutus and Openchange are two other options, apart from the default
evolution-exchange connector, to access a MS Exchange mailbox.  And,
both are in active development are good enough for everyone to try it.
Above all, its the power of F/OSS - "choice" - one is not bound to a
particular product/software.

If the question is about Evolution embracing Brutus/Openchange/implement
support for MS Exchange Web Service protocol (the new interface that
would replace the current webDAV interface), I would say it is too early
to comment now and let them evolve - in terms of
stability/performance/feature support/user base. ;-)

Thanks,

V. Varadhan

--
Veerapuram Varadhan <vvaradhan novell com>

 Novell, Inc.
Software for the Open Enterprise™
http://www.novell.com