Re: [Evolution] [Fwd: Re: Evolution-Connector W/ Exchange 2007]

On 6/20/07, Veerapuram Varadhan <vvaradhan novell com> wrote:

> It would be ideal if it could bypass OWA and just access the MAPI
> interface.  Maybe the Openchange MAPI libs will help to achieve this.
>
> http://www.openchange.org/

That is definitely the future direction of Evolution-exchange.  We will
be evaluating this in couple of weeks and update go-evolution.org with
the same.

V. Varadhan

so using the open-exchange lib is now the direction of the eds
project? Is this a new direction (ie you just heard about it, and
think it's a good idea)? Or, was it a strategic decision taken by the
entire team some time ago, and just in the next couple weeks your time
has cleared to get started on it?

Frankly I don't see much commitment here to get this done ... why is
that? I am not criticising you in this Varadhan ... but rather
wondering out loud why for so long this project has had such little
commitment of resources?

Perhaps not enough people within Novell/Gnome really "get" just how
badly the evo exchange connection is required in order to get traction
with a linux desktop?

At any rate -- to me, it would be very good if, when installing evo,
if I could select from amongst the various "connector" styles. I would
like to see as menu options "traditional evo connector" and brutus
connector (yes, which will assume the process is installed out there
somewhere).

Hopefully this open exchange lib will provide so traction, quickly too
.... it is ridiculous that I have to have a windows vm and Outlook in
order to view a shared calendar or function even reasonably well with
exchange.

I've said it before, and can only re-enforce the message ... right now
it is a deal breaker for wider corp adoption of linux desktop. Please
get some resources on it and make it a PRIORITY.

Peter