Re: [Evolution] Reply "Outlook Style"

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 09:44 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 09:20 +0200, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
Now, some have also asked me why I send mail in plain text.
And.....why do I? HTML email is a "standard" (its got a RFC and
everything), so why not send in HTML? Silly formatting and colour
coding aside.

Because:

Sorry all this is getting OT, my last response, promise.

     1. Plain text is also a standard

Yes, and

     2. You almost never need the silly formatting and colour coding

Unless when it is required - like pointing out reply chunks etc

     3. Everyone's ideas of appropriate formatting (e.g. fonts) and
        colours tend to vary a lot, so messages are in my experience
        visually noisy and actually *harder* to read than plain text.

Same can be said for any other way of communication.  I can
foRmat
                           This                                         also
        sEmi
 unreadablE

Proper programs will solve this.
And yes, Outlook is not one of them.

     4. HTML mail can have embedded URLs and represent a security
        problem

Only if the reader allow it.
Again, dont consider Outlook.

     5. Using HTML increases the size of messages, which affects a)
        storage space and b) bandwidth efficiency.

True, but this is true for all other web traffic - couple of extra tags
will surely not break the network.  Tagging may even help with QoS.

My 2c worth

ps sorry for the inline, I know its a mailing list no no

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm