Re: [Evolution] Slow Evolution - OWA - Evolution connector

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 13:28 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
Hello,

I was forced to Evolution from Thunderbird when we moved to exchange
server from pop/smtp.  Our exchange server doesn't have pop or imap
access so this means the Linux users have to use Outlook Web Access to
get our mail.  This is a very slow and tedious problem.

At first I was using FC4 but have since upgraded to FC6 and evolution 2.8.2.

I had a large series of filters based on how I sorted my mail in
Thunderbird.  I would access my mail in the mornings when getting into
work and be reading in a few minutes, even when there were over 1000
messages.  Now it takes a very long time to get to a point of reading my
mail.  As an example, I started to access my mail at 13:08 with an inbox
of 76 messages.  I have a very basic filter to move all my mail to a
local folder.  This process took 6 minutes.  In the morning, I am
looking at almost an hour.  This is not productive.

I tried to filter on the server but I just ended up with a mess and was
accused of crashing the server once.  This was due to the message line
on the bottom of the UI was indicating 100% complete when it was only
100% complete on that particular message.

As a comparison, I copied and saved the messages to a mailbox that I
accessed via Thunderbird and I could run multiple filters in seconds,
including the mouse clicks to make them run.

Now, I have searched and searched for information on the
evolution-connector but didn't have any luck.  Where can I find
documentation on this application?  I didn't find anything on the Novell
site.

As for the running of evolution, how do I get it to move the messages
faster automatically?  A simple filter to take all my mail in my inbox
and move it to a different local box takes forever as stated.  I think
if I disable spamassasin it would work faster but the message posted to
the mail list on December 12th never got a response, at least not to the
list.  Of course any reply may have gone to the OP instead of both or
the list.

I have many other issues but these are the two that are affecting my
productivity and ability to even look at evolution as an email client.

I have the same prob here - I use Thunderbird at home (GMail POP) and
forced to use Evolution in our MS only office.  Evolution (2.8.2) is
slow and crashes regularly (well not Evol, the backend service) - I
think its because the Junk filter and Mesg Filters are trying to move
the same messages.
At the moment I have a working solution - I open Evol, wait for all
messages (headers) to download, then wait for junk filter to complete -
then select all Inbox messages and hit Ctrl-Y (filter).
This seems to work most of the time.
I'm still debugging a bit - but will file a bug report when Im certain
about whats going on.

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm