Re: [Evolution] Need focus on Exchange (was Re: CalDAV - any successes out there)

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 08:29 -0600, Peter Van Lone wrote:
On 2/26/07, Per Nystrom <pnystrom netmagic net> wrote:
I like a lot of the changes to evo that I've seen in 2.8.3.  I might
even try to run 2.9.x if I can find SRPMs that compile on my box before
resorting to a downgrade.  But the bottom line is I need to be able to
do my day-to-day work also, and the problem I'm having in 2.8.3 is
killing my productivity.

I am in a similar situation as Per ... I'm using what came with my
distro (in this case SLED 10 and evo 2.6.0.

I have tried to update to a later version, but find myself caught in
dependency hell when I do so. And, I really don't know how to go about
compiling my own from source.

Obviously I need to learn how to do that ... but just as obviously (to
me, anyway) the maintainers of the SLED distro need to keep evo
(especially as it is so broken) much more up to date.

Really, though, this is an issue between you and your distro.  Not much
that the Evo team can do about this.

I do agree that it's too bad that Evo is so heavily dependent on Gnome,
making it extremely difficult to compile independently.  On the other
hand, one can only assume that if it weren't, Evo would have to reinvent
all the code that's being provided by Gnome--which would be even worse
in every other way (IMO).  I guess all we can do is urge the Evo team to
be thoughtful about how they integrate Evo into the desktop.

If you want to build things for yourself the simplest way is to use
GARNOME.  It will rebuild the entirety of the Gnome desktop from source,
handling all the downloads, ordering, etc.  You can install it somewhere
completely different (I use /opt/gnome) so that it won't have any impact
on your distro's packaging.  Then you can use that version of Gnome in
its entirety (by modifying your local desktop configuration), or just
use Evo from that area.

It takes a long time to build, but that's computer time and not your
time spent tracking down/installing dependencies, messing with autoconf
setup, etc. etc.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/