Re: [Evolution] CalDAV - any successes out there

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 09:02 -0600, Peter Van Lone wrote:
On 2/16/07, Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve> wrote:
<snip>
While I understand the need for an Exchange client
under Linux, I can't help wondering how much this distracts developer
attention from the rest of Evo.

From the perspective of hoping to drive Linux desktop adoption into
the corporate world, Linux must have an enterprise-ready groupware
client that can replace Outlook with little or no loss of
functionality.

There are several (Zimbra and Scalix come to mind), just that they
aren't free if you want interoperability with Exchange.

Evolution has been touted as just that ... but thus far (IMHO) has
fallen considerably short -- and is actually pretty weak. Its poor
showing has cost linux 2 desktop rollouts that I personally was hoping
to assist with. I'm certain that there are many more.

No doubt, which is why I said I understood the reasons for wanting this
funcionality, even though it's of no interest to me personally or in
fact to anyone I work with. I'm in a University and there are no
Exchange installations within shouting distance, but we still need good
groupware.

There are *many* good/strong personal groupware offerings. I'd vote
for please, distracting the developers from "the rest of EVO" -- so
that we can finally get the product that we need to compete with
Outlook/Exchange.

I'd vote for making Evo a strong candidate even without Exchange.
Chandler looked interesting for a while but seems to be seriously behind
schedule (a release is planned for April I think). Hula went nowhere
fast and has been abandoned. There seems to be something fundamentally
unsexy about groupware from a FOSS point-of-view. Maybe geeks don't use
calendars.

poc