Re: [Evolution] (no subject)

Hi Pete,

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 17:25 +0000, Pete Choppin wrote:
Here is what I tried:
# rpm -ivh evolution-brutus-1.1.27.0-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libecal-1.2.so.6 is needed by evolution-brutus-1.1.27.0-1.i386

I searched for the libecal and it looks like it is related to the
Evolution Data Server.
(http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libecal-1.2.so.6&system=&arch=)

Yes. The reason it failed for you was that your e-b RPM wasn't build
with the version of e-d-s on your box.

The best thing for your would be to do "yum install evolution-brutus" on
F7. That RPM is guaranteed to have all dependencies resolved.

I then tried to install the evolution-brutus-x.tar.bz2 file in the
hopes that it would have the necessary libraries.  I extracted the
tarball and I do see the intltool-update files, yet it will not
configure.  I am sorry, but I am not familiar enough with these to
know what to do with them.  I am not sure why the ./configure is not
able to locate these.

I am running CentOS 5 on kernel version 2.6.18-8.1.3.el5

Ah... that is why :-) My RPMs are build on Fedora and SUSE. Other RPM
based distributions will need to build those RPMs themselves or wait for
me to do it. I'll strongly advise you to attempt to build e-b yourself.
Just get the tar-ball and do:

./autogen.sh
make dist-rpm

These commands will, with a little luck, generate RPMs for you in
~/rpmbuild. Unfortunately success is not guaranteed as I've never used
CentOS. Experience has taught me that even among RPM based distributions
it often takes days (or even weeks) to make the build commands in the
Makefile "just right".

But do not despair - I'm here and I'll help you if you get into build
troubles.

HTH,
  jules