[Evolution] Evolution-Pilot - frustrating as h**l

Hi,

I have rejoined this list after a substantial break, but my difficulties
with Evolution-Pilot have not disppeared.  I have been using Evo for
over 5 years, now, and although the early days of making a link
between /dev/pilot and /dev/ttyS0 involved a bit of work, the connection
was reliable.  These days I wonder how a Groupware suite can allow such
an impediment to Palm Synchronisation to persist for years as it has.

Maybe you need to do more with evo than just synchronise the main 4
features, but jpilot does those 4 perfectly all the time, without any of
the configuration issues of Gnome Pilot. I have just filed another bug
report about gpilotd, it has crashed my Palm LifeDrive 5 times tonight
while trying to find a config which worked.  Then when a connection is
finally made, gpilotd crashes, although the data was synchronised. Go
figure.

Is Pilot Synch at the bottom of the ladder? What will it take to get the
Palm developers and the Evo developers to talk to each other so that
things like OpenOffice.org compatibility can be provided as a standard
feature on all Palm OS products - particularly now that Palm is moving
to embedded Linux for the Foleo? And for things like SMS data and other
stuff to be available from the sidebar in Evo?

Synchronisation should "just work" from the outset.

It would be nice if, when Mandriva bring out their 2008 release in late
Sept 2007, that I could find a shiny new Evo-Pilot that works.

Thanks

Andrew Greig
Community Distributor, OpenOffice.org
Melbourne, Australia