Re: [Evolution] Newbie looking for Evolution 2.8 on Win32 help

Thanks for the info.  I have got those binaries already though.  Lack of knowledge is most likely my biggest problem.  But I have to start learning sometime.  I have tried just dropping the files contained in the evolution-2.8.0.zip file into the C:\Program Files\Evolution folder (after backing this folder up to another location) and then I chased after files that were reported missing for the better part of the day, which I realize that newbs search slower, and the more digging I do, the quicker I SHOULD get, or else I will have to decide to through in the towel.  There must either be something else I need to load, or else, I need to get the Dev Environment setup.?.?.???

I have tried following the instructions on the site (for BUILDING Evo on Windows), and all I have accomplished is getting confused.  I am a free-lance Network admin that travels around my region taking care of networks and repairing computers, but they are all windows based computers on M$ or Netware networks.  I am kicking myself for not paying more attention when I took my UNIX class in college, but that was back in 1992, and I NEVER thought I would need it after I got the 1 hour credit.  OOPS!!!  Hind sight is much clearer J

Anyway, back to my problem.  I have the binaries, but it is getting the Development Environment setup that is where I am getting hung up.  I tried to follow the directions for setting up WINGW and the rest, and my head spins.  This is a completely new adventure for me, and I feel about like some 5 year old kid that was dropped off in the Siberian tundra with a sleeping bag, sacked lunch and good wishes to “Come home soon.”

I have a laptop that I just installed a beta version of the new Ubuntu Linux on, and it has the Evo 2.8, and it looks really sharp.  This just makes me want to get this working even more.

Thank you so much for your response, and your help.  I hope that I don’t frustrate you too much with my lack of what seems to be any clue at all, it is frustrating me, but I am stubborn, and slow to throw in the towel.

I am hoping to switch to SUSE Linux Ent. Desktop 10 in the very near future.  I have a book + CD self-paced study kit on the way.  I just hope that I can get back into the “Learn new things effectively” mode.

Thanks,

Jimmy Burt

 jimmy j-b3 com

JB3 Systems