[Evolution] Evolution and E-mail viruses

As a newbie to Linux, I read in the Evolution docs. that it handles viruses. Presently I am using my computer as a single workstation
connecting to my ISP as needed, through dial-up, and am not using an MTA. Evolution is used to both send and receive mail directly.

I do have amavisd-new running, but since I am not using an MTA is my mail coming in unfiltered for viruses. If so, what would be the
easiest way set  up a virus filtering capability, as opposed to setting up my stand-alone, single user computer as a mailserver, thus
using an MTA configured system.