Re: [Evolution] Junk mail and spamd

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 14:12 -0400, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 21:46 -0500, Scott T. Hildreth wrote:
On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 11:34 +0200, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
I have all the junk mail stuff active and have been marking spam for the
last 2 months now, but still most of the spam comes through.
Loads of the stuff is from the same place, so filtering should not be a
problem.

Same here, and my Bayes db is almost 2 years old.  I must have marked
at least 50 to almost a 100 with "hilburn" in the subject line and they
still get through.  I am running a experiment right now, I cleared out
the junk folder.  I am not marking any message as "Junk", I move it to
a Spam folder I created.  And then I am letting Spamassassin mark the
messages that are determined to be junk.  Right now there are 276 in the
Junk folder and 227 that I moved to the temp Spam folder.  I have emails
forwarded from work to my home server and some of them have the "SPAM"
subject re-write and they still don't get marked as spam.

This is ultimately why I moved to bogofilter over spamassassin as my
mail filtering setup.  We (Gentoo) optionally patch bogofilter in place
of spamassassin as the spam filter plugin, because you cannot have more
than one spam filter plugin at a time.  The patch for 2.7/2.8 is
available here if people are interested:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~dang/evolution-2.7.3-bf-junk.patch.gz

   Do you have an updated patch?  I really want to try using bogofilter.
   I have hit that cycle where I am marking half, if not more, of my
   Inbox as junk with spamassassin.

   Is the patch the same and all I would need to do is change 2.7.3 to
   2.8.1.1?

   Thanks.

I've been using it for over a year and a half now, and it has a much
much better hit rate than spamassassin had, it is much quicker to
filter, and I don't periodically have to killall spamd.  I know there's
at least one other bogofilter plugin floating around out there.

Daniel