[Evolution] Evolution and console mail apps

For various reasons I am thinking of changing to Evolution for mail.
Currently I use Gnus (in emacs), and previously I have used Pine.

The thing that causes me to hesitate is that I sometimes need to ssh
into my box, mainly to keep up to date with my emails if I am away
from home.  Of course, I could use Evolution via VNC, but VNC can be
painful if the client is on a very slow connection.

I believe it is possible to use Evolution in conjunction with other
mail programs (such as Pine and Mutt).  Is this a practical solution?
Does anyone have experience of doing this?

Or can anyone suggest an alternative solution?  I'm assuming that
Evolution can't be used at all in a console, which is a shame.

David

--

David Sumbler

david aeolia co uk