Re: [Evolution] delay when sending mail

well, you are welcome to dig into the problem and send a patch if you
feel that strongly about it.

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 18:35 -0400, Igor A. Nesterov wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:24 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

It queues a send operation on a thread, but if it's busy (has other
things it's doing), then there will be a delay - how long is dependant
upon what has been previously queued in the thread.

If the thread you mentioned is for sending only, there is usually
nothing previously queued. You type a message, it takes time. Then you
click Send. Unless you are offline, at this moment Outbox is normally
empty. Still I've never seen a message staying there less than 10
second. Usually more. I personally cannot explain it by thread
scheduling delays.

Actually, the point of discussion is not even an actual time consumed by
sending a message. It might be fast, I do not know that. What we are
talking about is a sending time perceived by user. It's a time between
clicking Send in compose window and the Outbox(1) line going from bold
to normal. In Evolution this time is abnormally long. People on network
expect messages to be sent immediately. If they see it staying
undelivered for half of minute, they start wandering what's going on?

Igor

--
Jeffrey Stedfast
Evolution Hacker - Novell, Inc.