Re: [Evolution] Evo die with excessive disk activity

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 23:21 +0000, Erik Slagter  wrote:
On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 15:30 +0100, Al Active wrote:
Once or twice a week my Evo 2.4 2.4.0 (evolution --version; in SuSE
10.0
purchased boxed version with regular YOU updates to date) slows down
the
complete system to almost standstill with very high disk access.
Only
with Ctrl-Alt-F2 -> ps -A -> kill PID(evolution-2.4) does the system
come to life again. I can start evo again (takes quite a long time
come up), but have then to close properly again to have a few days
of
peaceful work (experience showed it was stable for a while longer
after
a proper close-down).

Any ideas what Evo does when it goes in the tight spin? How can it
be
prevented or solved?

Looks like your memory runs out, either caused by evolution or
something
else. Strace might be your friend here. If it says brk(...) or
sbrk(...)
or mmap(...) repeatedly, then probably evolution is at fault.

Keep an eye on "beagle" as well.  Unless the user turn it off, once the
user logs in, beagle is run by default on SuSE 10.  And Beagle is known
to grow big and sometimes huge, in terms of memory consumption,
depending on the user's data.  If you use Beagle, make sure you update
it to the latest release. (latest release 0.2.0 seems to have a much
reduced growth rate).

V. Varadhan