Re: [Evolution] Upgrade without losing mail: is there a HOWTO?

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 11:23 -0800, Mindy Fillmore wrote:

Well, maybe it is a bug.  Not sure why but it is an erratic one.  Can't
reproduce it except on my computer too.  Maybe I am not the only one lol
after all.

My husband and I upgrade our computers regularly, but a fresh reinstall
on his computer never messes with his data.  Mine on the other hand,
when backed up in exactly the same ways as his, ALWAYS loses
something... Usually it can't see my address books, except whatever is
still in personal.  He has to "trick" it into seeing my address books.

See the link below. :)

He keeps his in one address book.

That's the difference...

He figures it was because an old
version got corrupted and I stopped arguing with him and agreed to a
fresh install. Part of why I don't wish to re-enter all my addresses
once more.  Maybe it won't happen after this, but it would be nice to
figure out why it keeps not seeing the address books.  They are always
where there, just not recognized.

Sounds to me, like you missed some GConf stored settings. FWIW, the
Address Book data itself is stored in ~/.evolution. But the list of
Address Books (beside the default "Personal" one) and their names are
stored in GConf.

See this post for some generic recovery instructions:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2006-January/msg00204.html

To not have to re-enter all the Contacts, either:

a) Restore ~/.evolution and ~/.gconf/apps/evolution if starting with a
   fresh (as in clean) $HOME before running Evo again.

b) Follow my generic Address Book recovery instructions, if you failed
   at option a.

c) Select all Contacts in an Address Book and safe them in a vCard file.
   Import this file later.

...guenther