Re: [Evolution] Using Address Book as white list

Is there a way of setting up a message filter that says "if the sender
is not in my address book then delete it"?

This is not possible out-of-the-box. However, I recall scripts being
posted on this list, that can do this. About 2 years ago, though, IIRC.

If possible you'd better implement this at the mail server, so the
sender knows it's message has been discarded. Using postfix this is
really easy.

but I don't WANT the sender to know, as that would tell spammers they
have a valid email address!

Uhm, this is wrong. :)

Erik proposed to not accept the mail at all at the MTA level. If you
reject as "User unknown", there is no way Spammers can know this address
is valid. This really needs to be done at an MTA level, though -- the
mail must not be delivered (for example at your ISP), so you need to run
the mail server for that domain...

The way you asked for originally *will* tell the Spammer, the address is
valid. Cause the mail was delivered. Discarding at an MUA level is not
propagated back. [1]

Anyway... Spammers don't care at all if the mail was delivered or not.
General opinion and evidence on the SA list shows, this will not
decrease the amount of Spam. Cause Spammers don't care. They are most
likely not to remove any failed address.

IMHO this is a pretty rude approach, and I (currently ;) never would
ponder about this. My SA performs really great in dumping Spam somewhere
else...

...guenther

[1] Real live example: You are dumping letters unread sent by snail mail
to you. Since the letter was not returned the sender knows it reached
the addressee.