Re: [Evolution] Using Address Book as white list

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 12:01 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:03 +0100, Erik Slagter wrote:
On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 21:51 +0000, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
Is there a way of setting up a message filter that says "if the sender
is not in my address book then delete it"?

If possible you'd better implement this at the mail server, so the
sender knows it's message has been discarded. Using postfix this is
really easy.

but I don't WANT the sender to know, as that would tell spammers they
have a valid email address!

Does not need to be that way. If you make the mailer return something
like "554 Unsollicited email" it can't know. If you're really paranoid,
make it return "554 User unknown", although that's not really polite.
Don't worry, spammers actually don't process the return codes of the
mailer at all. Any mail sent from a legitimate address by a real mailer
will get a nice non-delivery-notification though.

This is something completely else than sending a bounce message from
your mailer (MTA, not MUA), or mail to the "unsubscribe" address, which
no sane person should do.