Re: [Evolution] Evolution's icons

On 20 Feb 2006, at 11:29, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 05:36 +0100, guenther wrote:
The GNOME Desktop aims at providing a consistent look-and-feel across
the entire desktop. So some general UI related settings and other ones are shared across all GNOME applications, which in turn means, the app
itself does not provide it, but the desktop. Similar to the font
settings of the UI, for example.

Consistency is overrated IMHO (it's a means to an end, not the end
itself), but even accepting it as a given I don't see why apps can't
directly access the preferences widget(s) without the user a) having to
know there is an entirely separate command for this, and b) knowing
enough to invoke a Shell to execute it. It seems to me that even having a preferences item that just called gnome-control-center would be a huge
improvement.

Just because a setting is desktop-wide doesn't mean there should be only
one way to get to it.

In fact, for this specific case, the HIG does recommend being able to over-ride toolbar preferences on a per-app basis:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/toolbars-controlling- display.html

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team