Re: [Evolution] Evolution: how to check the incoming mails?

I am using Linux Ubuntu 5.10 in dual boot with the native o.s. of my PC
(Windows 98SE).
In order not to spread viruses I'd like to check the incoming mails,
managed by Evolution.

Evolution can *not* be talked into spreading any Windows virus
automatically by an incoming mail.

The most common purpose of running a virus scanner for Linux machines
simply is to get rid of those annoying buggers, without the need to
manually delete/move them. Plus, you get some (limited) phishing
protection by ClamAV.

I have, also, installed ClamAv antivirus along with its frontend ClamTk.
My Evolution version is 2.4.1. Does it have a built in support for
ClamAv? Or, do I need to install another suitable software (amavisd-new ?)
Unfortunately my knowledge of such things is low, so, I'll be grateful
to you if you give me a helping hand about the right procedure.

It is very easy. Have a look at :
http://lurker.clamav.net/message/20050618.021205.f1ab6d55.en.html

Now this is pretty cool. I was about to post the same. :-)

This should tell you all you need to do in order to set up ClamAV to
scan for viruses on incoming mails. Note: where the example
says /bin/clamscan, you probably have to use /usr/bin/clamscan in
ubuntu. If not sure where your clamscan binary is installed, try:

whereis clamscan

To your questions:

* Evolution has got no builtin support for ClamAV, although ClamAV can
be used with Evolution.

Well, I couldn't even think about how to do this. Apart from a "ClamAV"
rule that effectively is exactly what is mentioned in the above post.
There is nothing like "mark as virus" in ClamAV... ;)

* You do not ned to install any other software apart from ClamAV (not
even the ClamTk frontend, which in my experience is much slower than the
command line)

...guenther