Re: [Evolution] Nit Pic -- Saving Sent messages in separate folders? - [NOT SOLVED]

Hi David;

I am going to set up your suggestions below:

On Tue, 2006-15-08 at 21:42 +0000, David Winick wrote:
On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 11:16 -0400, William Case wrote:
First I filter messages that come in from an ISP account that is for
personal mail only:
"Source Account is William Case <wmcase rogers com>(Personal)
 Move to Folder Bill (Personal)" then;
"Subject Contains Creativity+
 Move to Folder Bill (Personal)/C+TM" and;
"Subject Contains Westboro TM
 Move to Folder Bill (Personal)/TM Westboro"

Thanks for picking up this topic.  I just spent 10-15 minutes sorting
and cleaning my Sent folder.

(sorry for the double-post)

So, it seems you have not been filtering based on a contacts list, but
rather a subject header; Your first incoming filter condition ('Source
Account is ...') is still applicable, and can be used for an outgoing
filter rule, for any instances where your click either of the Reply
buttons.  In fact, the same holds true for these other two rules.

By the way, the fact that you have a separate account for personal mail,
means a much simpler way to keep it separated exists:  specify personal
(i.e., unique) drafts and sent folders (in
Preferences->AccountEditor->Defaults).  This will keep your personal and
work files physically separated.

Although you might not think it neat and pretty on the Evolution
sidebar, I would highly recommend the use of search folders -- that is,
once you have high/low traffic and/or personal/professional files
separated to your liking.  Search folders can be organized into their
own hierarchy of sub-folders (giving you a nice visual queue), and can
also be limited to specific folders ('Personal-Inbox' +
'Personal-Drafts' + 'Personal-Sent', for instance).  Too much move/copy
can be slow, space-consuming, and problematic when Evolution hiccups.

However, it doesn't represent a full solution.  Giving an evolution user
access to 'Where: ' field(s) in the contacts file would still be the
best answer.  Of course, things are never as simple as I have outlined.
I have been filtering based on the subject and *on three or four
individuals as recipients*.

The problems are:
      * Some people belong to both clubs.
      * Some people are personal friends with whom I exchange email
        about non-club subjects
      * Some times I do a little business with individuals and not
        corporate identities
      * I haven't yet run into people who I do business with who belong
        to one of my clubs (it will happen one day I am sure)
      * Some people are entered in more than one contact list.

Nonetheless your suggestions are an advancement on doing everything
manually.

This is not a complaint.  It is more a feature request/suggestion --
allow users to have access to the internal data fields some way.  I
think PIMs are the most personal software on a computer and should be
extremely configurable at least on the surface.  I have a lifetime of
bad work habits for example, that I would like to accommodate. Making me
change rather than being able to change the software seems a little
Microsoft-ish.

By on the surface, I mean shortcut keys, colours, the gui and the
printouts.  In Linux there are literally hundreds of programs that let a
user design and change things without screwing up the backend.  But to
do that evolution needs to let the ordinary user have access to the
internal fields and the internal commands.  Perhaps there is an
universal macro language that could be cobbled on to Evolution that
would/could not damage the back end.

Just a thought.

--
Regards Bill