[Evolution] [Fwd: evolution gone bad]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Bruce W. Koehn <koehn lowell edu>
To: evolution-list gname org
Subject: evolution gone bad
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:14:59 -0700
Greetings,

Just back from vacation, turned on the computer (Redhat Enterprise,
subscription just expired and no chance of renewal), downloaded 157
mail messages into Evolution and got

The Application "evolution" has quit unexpectedly.

You can inform the developers of what happened to help them
fix it. Or you can restart the application right now.

After multiple restart attempts, it is clear that evolution is
effectively dead.

I am a user, not a developer, and everything I have read is not
understandable.

Regards,
Bruce Koehn

PS.  Have changed names in the .evolution/mail/local/Inbox* files
evolution started to work but then failed again.  Probably some
index file corruption and my changes have made it worse.  Is there
a way to fix all of this?

PPS.

Just moved the .evolution directory and the evolution directory to
some other place and started afresh (although somehow it knew
where the mail server was).  So at least there is some mail
service but all the old messages are unaccessible.