Re: [Evolution] Wish: Uncached IMAP folders

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 01:09 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 22:52 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I'm speechless. Was this done because some IMAP servers were buggy? If
not, there would seem to be no justification for it.

I believe it was done in order to fix inconsistencies in the unseen
counts on folders when the strange client-side Junk processing isn't
disabled. The Junk processing hides messages from a folder and pretends
that those messages actually exist in some other fake folder. And thus
the unseen counts in the real folder looked wrong, because some of the
unseen messages were hidden from view.

The simple option might have been to mark the messages as read when we
decided they were junk. That wasn't what was done, though -- instead of
just being able to ask the server "how many unseen messages are there in
this folder" we now have to fetch the flags for _every_ mail in the
folder and count the ones which are unseen but not 'junk'.

Man, that's just... Messy.  Instead of hiding them, what if a
new "subject pane" column "Junk" were created (kinda like
"Flagged!").  A Stored Search (nee Virtual Folder) would list
all the Junk.

But would that also require re-fetching all mails?

Or, just *really* move them to the Junk Folder?

Or..... disable Junk processing for IMAP!!!!  Since I don't need
it, nobody needs it.

In fact we also download the _headers_ for every mail in every folder
too. That's just a side-effect of the above, I think; there doesn't seem
to be even a tenuous reason for that.

By "active" do you mean "subscribed"?

That is the definition of 'subscribed' in the IMAP specification, yes.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"You have to give the press confrontations. When you give them
confrontations, you get attention; when you get attention, you
can educate."
Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA)