Re: [Evolution] directories to save for update

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 20:40 +0200, Joep Blom wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 23:19 +0200, Joep Blom wrote:

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 09:23 -0400, Graham Campbell wrote:

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 14:50 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
hi joep,

Am Samstag, den 22.04.2006, 12:54 +0200 schrieb Joep Blom:

Does this work moving from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system?
Yes. I just did this a couple of weeks ago from a Pentium IV to an
Athlon 64 with no problems. In fact I backed up my entire home directory
and restored it, but it amounts to the same thing.

poc

Patrick,
I am curious why you did it. I only saved the directories I made and the evolution and gnome directories. The other .xxx directories must be rebuild for the 64-bit applications and will anyway be rebuild when you install them(overwriting then existing ones).
I don't know what you mean by .xxx directories. In any case, I was
moving everything to a new machine, so I backed up my home dir on the
old one and restored it on the new one. What so you find strange about
that?

poc

I mean directories like:
.adobe; .aspell.en.prepl;.audacity;.bash_history, etc ,etc.
They normally are build again when you install the related programs and moreover they are often different when you change platform.
Joep

a) I don't want to bother remembering which to back up and which not,
and it doesn't do any harm so I do them all. I prefer a little
inefficiency in a once-every-few-years operation to the risk of making a
mistake.

b) In at least one case (.bash_history) I'm fairly sure you're wrong.
It's a text file, so why should it matter what machine architecture I
have?

c) In no case I know of does reinstalling a package cause the user's
local data to be lost. There may of course be exceptions, but the
general practice is to leave user-preference data alone except possibly
for automatically converting to a new format when versions change.

poc

You're right of course. I my case it was 1GB less and the partition I was saving it to was rather small. If I had had enough space I would likely have done the same.
Joep